Monday, 9 May 2016

Jot Magazine May Mood Board Challenge

As soon as I saw this month's A-MAY-ZING mood board from Jot Magazine, I immediately thought dark, moody and grungy.





I was immediately drawn to the colour palette first and foremost, and my inspiration for my subject stemmed from the song lyric in the mood board. I have scrapped a photo of myself playing guitar. 

As well as crafting, I find that music definitely lifts my spirits - another creative outlet of mine. I'm a big fan of grunge music so I thought this would be a perfect way to scrap that.




I started my grungy, messy mixed media background by gesso-ing the page then started with lines of black acrylic paint (applied with the end of a rewards card) to make big checks. 

I then added a layer of grey gelato applied with the packaging technique. The next layer was navy Colour Shine applied  with a paintbrush, then another layer of Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Faded Jeans watered down to make a water colour effect. 


I then added a layer of white texture paste though a stencil, then once that was dry I applied some Colour Blast colour paste in Stormy Weather through a different stencil.

To finish the background I added some navy thread, some white thread and some stamping. I also added some splatters in navy and black.


I liked how there was a tiny touch of red in the mood board, and although not in the colour palette, I felt I had to add just a tiny touch of red to my page for passion.

I finished off with more splatters, including some watered down gesso splatters, some doodling with a red pen, and a simple title.







I really love getting messy and adding layer after layer, and getting my grunge on!!



2 comments:

  1. Ooooh loving that background! Thanks for joining in with the Jot Mood board challenge this month :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great Rachel!!! Love it.. thanks for joining in with our Mood Board challenge again! Kim

    ReplyDelete